An ATA Carnet is a Customs document that facilitates the temporary export of goods overseas, and is valid for up to one year.
Carnets are issued and guaranteed by national organisations around the world. The terms and conditions of the ATA Carnet System are enforced through written agreements between guaranteeing associations of the ATA Carnet chain and the World Chambers Federation in Paris.
The Wellington Employers' Chamber of Commerce is the sole guaranteeing and issuing association for New Zealand.
- Carnets save exporters money – allowing the temporary duty-free admission of goods into foreign countries. No security bonds are needed at each Customs point, avoiding the stress of retrieving funds from each foreign agency when the goods exit
- Carnets save exporters time – dispensing with importation forms, a Carnet is sufficient
- Carnets save exporters hassle – goods won’t be confiscated by foreign Customs, who might otherwise require payment for release of the goods
- Carnets save exporters extra work – exporting can be organised in advance, at predetermined cost, for an indeterminate number of trips with the same goods within the Carnet’s validity period, with additional countries able to be added.
Where Carnets are accepted
(Some countries have certain restrictions on the types of goods allowed. Please contact us (details below) for more information on your destination.)
- Cote d'Ivoire
- South Africa – also includes Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia and Swaziland
- China – also includes Macau
- Hong Kong
- Sri Lanka
- Czech Republic
- France – also includes Corsica, French Guiana, Tahiti, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, Miquelon, Monaco, New Caledonia, Reunion Island, St. Barthelemy, the French part of St. Martin, St. Pierre, The Wallis & Futuna Islands
- Greece – also includes Crete
- Spain – also includes Balearic Isles, Canary Islands, Ceuta, Melilla
- Switzerland – also includes Lichtenstein
- United Kingdom – also includes Bailiwick of Guernsey, The Isle of Mann, Jersey
- New Zealand
- United States – also includes Puerto Rico
Carnet Forms and Indemnity information
Issuing fees and other costs
Please note –
- All prices are exclusive of GST
- Different courier options are available depending on your needs, ranging from an overnight track and trace to same-day Pace services
- We can’t guarantee availability of Next-Day or Same-Day Service
- Only one overseas country is included in the initial Carnet fee.
(Application and Goods List received at least 72 hours* before Carnet is needed)
(Application and Goods List received between 36-72 hours* before Carnet is needed)
(Application and Goods List received less than 36 hours* before Carnet is needed)
Goods List Non-Chamber Format
Reinstatement, Amendment or Certified Copy Fee
Cancellation Fee (At least 72 hours’ notice)
Cancellation Fee (Less than 72 hours’ notice) - Full application fee for both members and non-members.
Please note –
- The time frames listed are based on working days. Public holidays are not included
- The Urgent and Same-Day processing times are subject to the workloads, and this service can’t be guaranteed
- Carnets can’t be sent to customers until the bond/indemnity/security is in place
- Both the fully completed and signed application form and goods list must be received within the allotted times above to qualify for a particular price
- Carnets and pages requested but unused will still incur all processing fees.
- Please ensure that the white re-exportation form is completed by US Customs when the goods depart the USA. Goods must be re-exported from the USA prior to the expiry of the Carnet
- If the re-exportation counterfoil is not completed by US Customs, then a regularisation fee will become payable to The Wellington Chamber of Commerce to cover the penalty fees levied by US Customs
- If goods are not re-exported prior to the expiry date, penalty fees, and full payment of taxes/duties, will be required.
For more information, you can get in touch with our Trade team on 0508 CARNET (0508 227 638), or firstname.lastname@example.org.